February 21, 2011

Life tip: a weight control trick

It's hard for me to avoid gaining weight, but I manage to do it by being active enough and by not eating (too much) more than I should. In fact, "Stop eating when you're full" is one of the heatlthy-lifestyle tips I give in my science book, The Night Olympic Team. But it's easier said than done!
.
To be able to follow my own advice, I use a trick. Before sitting down for dinner, I plan an irresistible fun thing to do afterwards, so I can't... resist doing it--instead of having seconds. It's often a craft activity.
.
For example, I just finished making a birdhouse pin. First, I sketched it on scratch paper. Then I made it out of modeling clay (the brand name is Sculpey). This took several sittings. After making sure I liked the birdhouse, I hardened it by baking it in the oven (pencil shown for scale):
.
.
Next, I painted it with acrylic paint:
.
Finally, I glued the hardware (available from bead shops, craft supplies shops, or jewelry supplies shops) on the back.
Chirp!

No comments:

Post a Comment