December 17, 2010

Follow a science writer and editor crafting a book subtitle – a STEM career glimpse

by me, your blogger, Caroline Hatton
.
.
If you love words and science, you can live happily ever after as a science writer.
.
Science can transport me into whole new worlds. So can reading. But when I write, I have the power to take readers into another world.
.

Capturing science book ideas
.
Most science writers are scientists who love writing (like me) or writers who love science.
.
Science writers must be capable of learning about at least one area of science, and they must write well enough to make it clear and infect readers with passion.
.
I have two science degrees: a pharmacist degree and a Ph.D. (Doctor of Philosophy, a doctoral degree) in Chemistry. As a scientist, I help test athletes for performance-enhancing drugs that are prohibited in sports because using them is cheating, it can be dangerous to health, and it's contrary to the spirit of sport.
.
While working at the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, I was on the team of scientists that caught three athletes on a prohibited drug. They had won a total of eight medals. We scientists helped officials and lawyers determine that the right thing was for the athletes to return all their medals, so they could be awarded to the rightful winners.
.
I'll never forget the night, the instant when the thought flashed through my mind, "Some day, I will write this story for children."
.
So I did!
.
My article, "The Night Olympic Team," got published in Cricket in the United States, then in The School Magazine in Australia and YES Mag, a children's science magazine in Canada (under the title, "Finding Gold for Canada").
.
I spent two years growing the article into a book. When I submitted my book manuscript to editors, the title was The Night Olympic Team and the subtitle was Inside a Drug Scandal.
.
For nonfiction books, I like when the title is intriguing and the subtitle crystal clear. That way, the title grabs me and makes me itch with curiosity. But the subtitle had better tell me exactly what the book is about.
.
The Night Olympic Team is a title that I had tried to use since the Fall of 2000. My longtime boss, beloved friend and a pioneer of drug testing in sports, Dr. Don Catlin at the UCLA Olympic Lab where I worked, had just come home from the Summer Olympics in Sydney. He had been asked to write a report for a campus newspaper, UCLA Today.
.
As his ghost writer, I often created drafts for him--internal university memos, manuscripts for scientists, lawyers or lay readers, international correspondence, and proposed protocols and policies for drug testing in sports. My words jumpstarted his thinking. Can you imagine how much more you could get done if someone drafted your homework for you?
.
Sometimes Don Catlin signed the letters I printed for him. Other times he threw out all my words and ideas, and wrote his own piece. Between these extremes, we spent many hours and days of our lives revising, debating, bickering, arguing, or avoiding one another, all for the sake of helping one another and fighting for The Cause--against drugs in sports--to protect the athletes' freedom to compete without taking drugs.
.
For UCLA Today, the report I drafted for Don in 2000 began like this:
.
The night Olympic team
.
The [N]th Olympic Summer Games are over down under. Beneath the exuberance, fanfare and cheer there were discordant notes every time athletes got caught with performance-enhancing drugs in their urine--but we heard so much about positive tests only because the multinational Olympic team at the Sydney laboratory did such a good job finding drugs. The scientists deserve medals, yet the only gold they got came in specimen bottles in the middle of the night.
.
When Don read that last sentence, he humphed, "Gross. No one's going to print anything like it." Although he never submitted my draft for publication, eight years later (in 2008), my book was published with something very much like it on the first page. :-)
.
As for the subtitle, Inside a Drug Scandal, one Friday afternoon in 2007, three months before my book manuscript was to be declared final and sent to the printer, my editor extraordinaire (that's a French word that means that he's a star), Andy Boyles at Boyds Mills Press, e-mailed me about it.
.
His concern was the suggestion that the book might be about "the *latest* drug scandal, whatever that might be years down the road." Prospective buyers night think, "Oh, I just read about that in the Times. No need to buy this book."
.
Andy wanted the subtitle to indicate that the book is not only about one scandal, but also about the general effort to quash the use of drugs in sports. He had spent time trying to come up with ideas and shared a long list of possibilities, including:
.
THE NIGHT OLYMPIC TEAM
.
The lab that fights drugs in sports
.
Keeping drugs out of the Games
.
Fighting drugs in sports
.
.
The following Monday afternoon, I replied by e-mail:
.
How about
.
THE NIGHT OLYMPIC TEAM
.
fighting to free sports from drugs
.
or
.
the untold story of a drug scandal
.
.
Andy sent three new ideas, one of which, "Fighting for Drug-Free Games," he acknowledged to be a bit of a tongue-twister. His e-mail ended with "???"
.
To avoid missing any possibility, I wrote keywords on paper slips and shuffled them, reading the permutations aloud until I got this:
.
.
Then I went to peck on my keyboard:
.
THE NIGHT OLYMPIC TEAM
.
Fighting to Keep Drugs Out of the Games
.
?
.
I liked the ring of it all. It rolled off my tongue easily with no risk of tripping and with a nice, strong beat.
.
I clicked "Send."
.
The phone rang. It was Andy. He wanted to make sure I could live with it.
.
Yes!
.
My book had a title and a subtitle. It was becoming real.
.
This was a milestone in the life of my book, itself a milestone in my life. And it was only the eight-word subtitle of a 6,000-word book! The rest... is another story.
.
.
ABOUT ME, CAROLINE HATTON
.
When I'm not working, I love to make miniatures, quilt, hike, backpack, ride horses, or cross-country ski.
.

.
LINKS AND MORE

* Follow a science writer...

...shaping a book.

...using a motivation trick (telling a friend).

...using a motivation trick (keeping a Hope Journal).

...using a motivation trick (finishing projects before starting new ones)

* Read a paragraph-long description of science writing careers at the Sloan Career Cornerstone Center.

* For an overview, read "Science Careers: Science Writer" at ScienceBuddies.org.
.
* For another overview, read "A Guide to Careers in Science Writing" by the Council for the Advancement of Science Writing.
.
* For a brief overview and paragraph-long profiles of the contributors to the Computing Life website, read "Writing Life" by Emily Carson.
.
* For a thrill, read an article and brief summaries about the winners of the science journalism awards of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
.
* Read fascinating notes about how award-winning author Caroline Arnold got ideas for her books, such as Global Warming and the Dinosaurs, and about her experiences researching and writing them. She is the author of 150 children's books inspired by her love of nature and by her travels. Many of her books have received awards as science books.
.
* Find out how author Sneed B. Collard III researches some of his science books for older younsters.
.
* Read about how I do research for science writing, in this interview of mine by another author, Vicki Leon:
.
- part 1 about interviewing experts... with more or less success!
.
- part 2 about fact-checking
.
- part 3 about weaving together the scientist's adventures in life and the science
.
* Read a terrific interview of astronomer, teacher, and science writer Alan Hirshfeld (part 1 and part 2) by Vicki Leon.
.
* Get some tips for adult, professional beginners.
.
* For clear, strong advice to help you become a better science writer, read Chapter 15, "Science and Technology," in the book by William Zinsser, On Writing Well - The Classic Guide to Writing Nonfiction. It's one of my favorite chapters in one of my favorite books about writing.
* Read about a job broader than just writing, in the article "Science Communication as a Press Officer" by Christine Pulliam, who has a Master's degree in astronomy.

* For an overview of a related career, Technical Writer, read the ScienceBuddies.org page.
.
Updated March 29, 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment